Thursday 27 February 2014

Natural Hair Journey


Natural Hair Journey
By Donna Adora Boyd-Burton

Part 1

It was only recently in 2013 I was certain that I wanted to go the natural hair journey. However I actually started the transitioning process while I was pregnant with my baby boy, Giovanni, in October 2012. I decided that I wanted to be really careful because he is my first baby so I stayed away from relaxing my hair. I also believed that the heat from the hair drier at the salon and the long hours there would place too much stress on me, so that really persuaded me to avoid any form of relaxers. It was also during that point in my life I believe to have been eating the healthiest diet in the world and my Husband insisted that I did.

It was a bit of a difficult journey for me because to be truly honest though I wanted to avoid relaxers I was confused as to what exactly I should do to my hair. I didn't know how to style it so that it would look slick as before. It was indeed frustrating. I then decided to use braid extensions. This really did alleviate the stress of the “what should I do with my hair” syndrome. Basically I braided my hair throughout the nine (9) months of my pregnancy. But for some reason even after I unbraided it, I still had no clue what to do next and since I am not a fan of weaving I avoided the expense.

From my recollection I believe it was late last year I decided to utilize You Tube just to see what videos there were of natural hair styles and the whole natural community. At first I focused on different cornrows hair styles which looked chic and which I could use to go to work, out and on an everyday basis. I did find quite a bit but with no hair stylist to have them done for me made the process unsuccessful. Don’t get me wrong there are like a million salons around the city but one that I felt totally comfortable enough to go to uhh none! So I searched and viewed like a millions videos and still I just wasn't satisfied.


No comments:

Post a Comment